IL-1beta (Interleukin-1 beta, IL-1b) is a potent inflammatory cytokine which has been well studied. Produced as a precursor, especially in myeloid cells and monocytes/macrophages, Interleukin-1 beta is processed by cleavage with caspase-1, or ICE, from the 31 kD inactive precursor to the 18kD active mature form secreted from cells as an end-result of the inflammasome complex and activation sequence (1, 2). In response to various TLR ligands, myeloid cells or macrophages activate NLRP3 inflammasomes and secrete Interleukin-1 beta. The rate of Interleukin-1 beta processing has been correlated to redox state or levels of ROS generated (3, 4). Interleukin-1 beta is directly involved in a variety of diseases -–auto-inflammatory diseases, acute inflammatory attacks such as ischemic injury in myocardial infarcts or in chronic inflammatory processes of atherosclerosis or Type 2 diabetes (5, 6). The ability to detect and quantitate active Interleukin-1 beta is critical for understanding how to regulate its activity as a therapeutic target.
1. Ghayur, T et al 1997 Nature 386: 619-623
2. Gu, Y et al 1997 Science 275: 206-209
3. Carta, S et al 2011 J. Biol. Chem. 286: 27069-27080
4. Tassi, S et al 2009 J. Immunol. 183: 1456-1462.
5. Xiaojun Zhu, Yiming Lin, Methode Bacanamwo, Lin Chang, Rui Chai, Ivana Massud, Jifeng Zhang, Minerva T. Garcia-Barrio, Winston E. Thompson, Yuqing E. Chen. Interleukin-1 β -induced Id2 gene expression is mediated by Egr-1 in vascular smooth muscle cells. Cardiovasc Res. 2007 October 1; 76(1): 141–148.
6. Dinarello, CA 2011 Eur. J. Immunol. 41: 1203-1207
7. Hanamsagar, R, V Torres and T Kielian 2011 J. Neurochem. 119: 736-748
8. Annamaria Vezzani, Tallie Z Baram. New Roles for Interleukin-1 Beta in the Mechanisms of Epilepsy. Epilepsy Curr. 2007 March; 7(2): 45–50.
9. Limei Li, Zhaoliang Fei, Jianke Ren, Ruilin Sun, Zhihui Liu, Zhejin Sheng, Long Wang, Xia Sun, Jun Yu, Zhugang Wang, Jian Fei. Functional imaging of interleukin 1 beta expression in inflammatory process using bioluminescence imaging in transgenic mice. BMC Immunol. 2008; 9: 49.
10. O Osborn, SE Brownell, M Sanchez-Alavez, D Salomon, H Gram, T Bartfai. Treatment with an Interleukin 1 beta antibody improves glycemic control in diet induced obesity. Cytokine. 2008 October; 44(1): 141–148.
11. Adel M. Nour, Mike Reichelt, Chia-Chi Ku, Min-Yin Ho, Thomas C. Heineman, Ann M. Arvin. Varicella-Zoster Virus Infection Triggers Formation of an Interleukin-1β (IL-1β)-processing Inflammasome Complex. J Biol Chem. 2011 May 20; 286(20): 17921–17933.